CURRICULUM VITAE FOR KAREN A. YOUNG, M.D.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
Glaucoma Fellowship ( 1997-98)
Shands Eye Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
Ophthalmology Residency (1994-97)
Howard University Hospital, Washington, D.C.
Medicine Internship (1993-94)
Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C.
Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
Post Baccalaureate Studies (1987-89)
Howard University College of College of Liberal Arts, Washington, D.C.
Bachelor of Science (Honors) in Zoology and Chemistry (1984- 1987)
University of the West Indies -Mona, Kingston, Jamaica.
- National Medical Association.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- American Glaucoma Society.
- William Gunn Medical Society, Tallahassee, FL.
- National Board of Medical Examiners - Part I 1991, Part II 1933, Part III, 1994.
- Florida Board of Medicine, 1997- current
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 06/99-current.
- Research Assistant under R.F.X. Williams Ph.D., 1990
Department of Chemistry, Howard University.
- Research Assistant under Winston Anderson, Ph.D., 1989.
Department of Zoology, Howard University - Investigation of the Role of Structural Proteins in Microtubule Function at Woodshole Marine Biology Laboratory, Woodshole Massachusetts, 1997-1998.
- Sub-Investigator, Alcon Laboratories. Protocol C-9703.
- Sub-Investigator, Pharmacia &Upjohn. Protocol 9600PG053.
Young, K., Smoot, T. - Isolation and Culture of Primary Human Gastric Epithelial Cell From Endoscopic Biopsies, Regional Student Research Forum, Miami, Florida 1991, and National Student Research Forum, Galveston, Texas, 1992.
Young, K., Kosoko, O - Clinical Experience with the Chronic Use of Iopidine (0.5%) in an African American Population, presented at the 100th National Medical Association Scientific Assembly, Atlanta, Georgia, 1995.
Young, K., Kosoko, O - Clinical Experience with Dorzolamide Hydrochloride 2% (Trusopt) at Howard University Hospital, presented at the National Medical Association Scientific Assembly, Chicago, Illinois, 1996.
Young, K., A. Singh, M.B. Sherwood - Postoperative Intraocular Pressure Elevation After Clear Cornea Phacoemulsification in Patients with Functioning Blebs ARVO, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 1998.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Third prize recipient in the Tenth Annual Alumni Conference and Symposium in Ophthalmology, Howard University Hospital, 1996.
- Fourth prize recipient in the Twelfth Annual Roland Nickens Scientific Research Forum, Howard University Medical Center, 1997.
- Woman of Excellence Award 2003, Bethel Missionary Baptist Church.
June 2004- Present
PRACTICING PARTNER - Capital Eye Consultants, P.A., 2280 Wednesday Street, Tallahassee, Florida 32308.
May 2000- May 2004
GLAUCOMA SPECIALIST - Alpha Eye Clinic, 2160 Capital Circle N.E., Tallahassee, Florida 32308.
- Tallahassee Outpatient Surgery Center, Medical Advisory Board - 2011-2012
- William Gunn Medical Society/Florida Alliance for Health Professions Diversity, 2014.
VOLUNTEER /COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Bond Community Health Center, Tallahassee, FL Vocational Rehabilitation, Tallahassee, FL.
- Division of Blind Services, Tallahassee, FL.